A PCOS diet is designed to help women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) lose weight and improve their overall health. However, some basic principles of a PCOS diet include eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, and healthy fats. You should also avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, and Trans fats. By following a PCOS diet and making other lifestyle changes, you can help manage your symptoms and improve your fertility.
PCOS is also a leading cause of fertility problems. But there’s good news: a healthy diet and lifestyle can help you manage your PCOS and improve your fertility.
The key to a successful PCOS diet is eating plenty of nutrient-rich foods while avoiding or limiting unhealthy foods.
Fresh fruits and vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can help protect your body from disease. They’re also low in calories and rich in fiber, which can help you lose weight and keep it off.
Lean protein is an important part of a PCOS diet. Good sources of lean protein include poultry, fish, tofu, legumes, and eggs. Protein helps balance your blood sugar levels and provides nutrients that are essential for fertility.
Whole grains are another important part of a PCOS diet. They’re high in fiber and help regulate your blood sugar levels. Good sources of whole grains include oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, and whole-wheat bread.
Healthy fats are an important part of a balanced diet. They help your body absorb fat-soluble vitamins and provide energy. Good sources of healthy fats include avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil.
Processed foods are high in calories and low in nutrients. They can also trigger inflammation and make it difficult to lose weight. To help manage your PCOS, avoid or limit processed foods as much as possible.
Sugary drinks are high in calories and can contribute to weight gain. They can also cause blood sugar spikes, which can worsen PCOS symptoms. To help manage your PCOS, avoid sugary drinks such as soda, juice, and sports drinks.
Trans fats are found in processed foods and can increase your risk of heart disease. They can also make it difficult to lose weight. To help manage your PCOS, avoid foods that contain Trans fats.
By following a PCOS diet and making other lifestyle changes, you can help manage your symptoms and improve your fertility.
PCOS Diet Recipes
1. Oatmeal with berries and nuts
2. Eggs with whole-grain toast
3. Smoothie made with fruit, yogurt, and protein powder
4. Greek yogurt with granola and honey
5. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
1. Chicken salad with greens and whole-grain croutons
2. Quinoa bowl with black beans, avocado, and tomato
3. Soup and sandwich made with whole-wheat bread
4. Sushi made with brown rice
5. Vegetable wrap made with whole-wheat tortilla
1. Grilled chicken with roasted vegetables
2. Salmon with quinoa and steamed broccoli
3. Stir-fry made with chicken, vegetables, and brown rice
4. Spaghetti squash with lean ground beef and tomato sauce
5. Vegetable soup
1. Fresh fruit
2. Trail mix made with nuts and dried fruit
3. Greek yogurt with honey
4. Whole-wheat crackers with peanut butter
5. Vegetable sticks with hummus dip
Complete PCOS recipes
Vegetable sticks with hummus dip:
-1 container of hummus
-1 bag of assorted vegetable sticks (carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc.)
-optional: 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spread a layer of hummus on the bottom of a baking dish.
3. Arrange the vegetable sticks on top of the hummus.
4. Drizzle with olive oil or avocado oil, if desired.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Sushi made with brown rice
Sushi made with brown rice is a healthy PCOS diet recipe. Brown rice is a whole grain that is high in fiber and nutrients. It helps regulate blood sugar levels and provides energy. Sushi rice is a type of sushi rice that is made with brown rice. It is lower in calories and carbs than white sushi rice.
-1 cup sushi rice
-1 cup water
-1 teaspoon rice vinegar
-1 tablespoon sugar
-2 teaspoons salt
-4 nori sheets
1. Rinse the sushi rice in a fine mesh strainer.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
3. Add the rinsed sushi rice and stir to combine.
4. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to low.
5. Cook for 18 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
7. In a small bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt.
8. Pour the mixture over the cooked rice and stir to combine.
9. Place a nori sheet on a bamboo mat or cutting board.
10. Spread 1/2 cup of the rice mixture over the nori sheet, leaving a 1-inch border.
11. Roll the nori sheet up, starting at the end closest to you.
12. Wet the end of the nori sheet with water and seal it.
13. Repeat with the remaining nori sheets and rice mixture.
14. Cut each roll into 8 pieces.
15. Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger, if desired.
This recipe makes 4 sushi rolls, or 32 pieces of sushi. Each piece of sushi has about 60 calories.
Greek yogurt with honey
1 cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine the Greek yogurt, honey, and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix well.
2. Eat as is or store in the fridge for later.
This recipe makes 1 serving of Greek yogurt with honey. Each serving has about 160 calories.
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
3 cups vegetable broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic, and carrot in olive oil over medium heat until softened.
2. Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes with their juice, corn, black beans, chili powder, and cumin.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Serve in bowls and enjoy!
This recipe makes 6 servings of soup. Each serving has about 150 calories.